First Great Lesson Charts
Printable the First Great Lesson. This digital download includes all of the charts you need to teach the Montessori First Great Lesson.
On the blog, there is a complete script for teaching the First Great Lesson– check it out!
Five printable Montessori First Great Lesson charts.
Geography Chart 1A: Relative Proportion of the Sun and the Earth
- Our sun is over a million times bigger than the Earth.
Geography Chart 3A: The Cosmic Dance
- The original chart has angels that carry ‘hot’ and ‘coldness’ from the surface of Earth to the heavens.
Geography Chart 4A: The Time of the Volcanoes
- Here we have my interpretation of “The Time of the Volcanoes”, scientifically known as the Hadean Era (named after Hades, god of the underworld!). Earth had just coalesced from a cloud of rocky dust into a sphere, heating up from the gravitational forces into liquid rock and cooling its outer crust. The inner core, still liquid and violent, would burst through this wafer surface as lava. The steam and ash was intense, blotting out our young star, the sun, and causing lightning storms too. The early solar system was still a mess, so meteors were common and sometimes violent- the most violent collision being the one that created the moon! Smaller meteors brought water.
Geography Chart 5A: Oceans Form
- Over thousands of years, earth cooled enough for the water vapor to cool, creating our oceans.
Unofficial Chart: The Solar System Forms
- This chart is part of the story I tell, but not a part of the original story. Check out the First Great Lesson blog post to see how I use it.
Designed to be printed on 8.5″x11″ letter pages. I find this to be a convenient size for storage and for children to work with the posters independently.
Original First Great Lesson Charts made by Emily Counts, based on Dr. Maria Montessori’s original drawings. I have maintained the legacy naming conventions, which align with AMI and Prepared Montessorian training. Lessons are not included in this download, only the charts.
Find Chart 2A, The Sun’s Family, in the Sun and Earth Chart set.